Halitosis “Bad Breath”

80% of bad breath is caused by some bacteria or item living or stuck in the mouth.

Do you have bad breath that won’t go away? There’s a technical term for that called Halitosis. Depending on the cause, Halitosis can have varying degrees of smell and persistence. The most common cause of bad breath is a bacterial build-up. When the mouth is warm, its moisture creates a condition for millions of bacteria to thrive.

There is hope! Bacteria based Halitosis can be easily treated by Reno Dental Associates. Consistent brushing your teeth, gums, and tongue after every meal will greatly reduce most bad breath problems. Make sure to floss and rinse with mouth wash for extra prevention of halitosis. In addition, if you reside in the Northern Nevada area, regular visits to to see our dental associates and doctors should help you avoid such a problem.

However, bad breath can still take many forms. Common ones like “morning mouth” are fairly normal and usually not of concern. However, if your bad breath won’t seem to go away, it could be a more serious problem involving your gums and teeth.

Halitosis Bad Breath

Bad breath may be caused by the following:

  • Poor dental hygiene – poor oral hygiene can leave food particles to decay in the mouth.
  • Infections in the mouth such as periodontal (gum) disease.
  • Respiratory-tract infections such as throat infections, sinus infections, lung infections.
  • External agents including foods such as garlic, onions, and coffee, as well as cigarettes and chewing tobacco.
  • Dry mouth caused by salivary gland problems or by breathing through the mouth.
  • Systemic illnesses such as diabetes, liver disease, kidney disease, lung disease, sinus disease, reflux disease and others.

Call Reno Dental Associates promptly if you have bad breath with painful, swollen gums that bleed easily, or loose teeth. We perform a physical examination of your mouth to determine the cause and if we discover a systematic problem, our dentists may refer you to your family physician. In severe cases of gum disease, we may recommend a specialized doctor to treat gum disease called a periodontist.