Your oral health starts with a routine that practices good hygiene and preventive dental care. Preventive dentistry focuses on giving patients tips for taking care of their teeth and how to get a healthy, beautiful smile. There are many different types of preventive dentistry ranging from cleanings to learning how to properly brush and floss your teeth. But, your dental health goes beyond good oral care. It can affect your overall health and well-being as well, so it’s important to maintain a healthy mouth by preventing dental problems before they get out of control.
Check out some of our tips for a healthy smile with these preventive dentistry practices.
What is Preventive Dentistry?
Preventive dentistry is essentially how it sounds; it’s effective in preventing dental complications that may arise from poor dental care. This type of dentistry is intended to keep oral problems from occurring, maintaining optimal oral hygiene, and promoting overall good health and wellness. Preventive dental care has to do with how you care for your teeth, gums, and mouth. This includes your brushing, flossing, and other oral habits.
Good oral health starts in early childhood and continues into adulthood. To ensure optimal dental health throughout your life, you should start seeing your dentist and practicing good oral hygiene habits as a child. Brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing daily, and getting regular dental checkups are all crucial to a healthy, happy smile.
Preventive Dentistry Services
Regularly scheduled visits with your dentist are one of the best ways to maintain optimal oral hygiene. Many dental plans cover the cost of preventive dental procedures such as cleanings and exams. Our preventive dentistry services provide primary dental care including:
- Regular oral exams (Every 6 months)
- Professional teeth cleanings
- Fluoride treatments
Not only will your Reno dentist provide you with quality dental care while you’re in their chair, but they will also show you the best methods for brushing and flossing your teeth. This information is key to keeping your teeth healthy at home.
What is your role in Preventive Dental Care?
Your dentist plays a large role in your dental care, but you play an even more important role in maintaining your oral hygiene. Dental care starts at home with proper brushing techniques, regular brushing and flossing, and much more. Here are some of the ways you can take part in your own dental care:
- Brush your teeth twice daily using a soft-bristled brush and a fluoride toothpaste
- Floss daily to prevent plaque build-up in between teeth
- Use a fluoride mouthwash after flossing
- Avoid highly acidic foods that may eat away at your tooth enamel
- Be careful eating hard foods as they may cause tooth damage
- Avoid tobacco products
- Use a mouthguard while playing sports or if you grind your teeth at night
- Replace your toothbrush every 3 months
- Don’t forget to brush your tongue to keep bacteria away!
Benefits of Preventive Dental Care
Staying up-to-date on your dental care can prevent the development of cavities and gum disease before they begin. This is the best way to ensure proper dental health and to maintain a beautiful smile. The best way to prevent major problems is to catch them early on, or better yet—before they even begin. Preventive dentistry also helps minimize the treatment and cost of your dental care. Benefits of preventive dental care include
- Lowers the risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and other serious and minor dental problems.
- Promotes good oral hygiene habits.
- Allows dentists to identify early signs of dental problems and prevent them from worsening.
- Keeps dental problems at bay
- May help reduce symptoms related to other medical or health issues including diabetes and heart disease.
Preventive Dentistry Services from Reno Dental Associates
Practicing proper brushing and flossing techniques, coupled with regularly scheduled visits with your dentist is the best way to maintain the best oral hygiene. A quality Reno dentist will not only help you get your oral hygiene back on track, but they’ll also show you ways to improve your dental health at home. Schedule an appointment for a dental check-up today by connecting with our quality Reno dental associates.